Tuesday 10 May 2011

DROP THE LIME: "FUCK THOSE ABLETON DJS"...


Adding his name to the already large list of DJs undergoing live-show makeovers – including Eric Prydz, The Aston Shuffle, Deathface and even Erick Morrillo – New York’s Trouble & Bass figurehead Drop The Lime is kicking off his transition into the live space with a full band setup.

Drop The Lime’s slick-quiffed Luca Venezia took the time to talk about the trend towards live dance acts and how his setup goes beyond a dude with a controller and some visuals.

“You go and see a DJ play and they’re this mysterious character up in the ceiling like a god or something,” he said. “I don’t want that. I want to interact with the crowd and make sure they’re having a good time. It makes me so angry that some DJs are getting paid 50 grand a show to press play on fucking Ableton. Fuck you. Fuck those DJs. That’s not live.”

Stressing his point about the blurred distinctions of the word ‘live’ in dance music today, DTL detailed his live performance pedigree dating back to his youth spent in gospel choirs and bands.

“I started live; I’ve been playing in bands since I was a kid and my first musical experience was singing in a gospel choir,” Luca said. “For a while now I’ve been singing in my DJ sets because I missed that live element. Now I’m playing guitar, we have an actual drummer, the girls are actually singing and with the band I can make it more of an experience than just going to see a normal DJ set,” he added. “I definitely drew some inspiration from Soulwax when I saw them do Nite Versions live. It blew my fucking mind! That was live and that was real and I want to do that too.”

We’ll wait and see how Drop The Lime’s live transformation works when it debuts at a hometown show in Brooklyn later this month. In the meantime you can check out the ‘50s infused club material that’s coming out of DTL’s live incarnation now.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Adventures In Clubland...